You picked up this book because you didn’t read the word on the front cover, you felt it. Don’t worry, you’re not alone. I feel it too.
While most of us don’t want to admit it, we crave attention. Our social media–obsessed society is proof that people everywhere want to be seen. But this self-promoting system leaves many women feeling overlooked. In Overlooked, Whitney Akin helps you discover how the human need for attention and approval is God’s intentional design and encourages you to live seen by the God who loves you.
Overlooked guides you into a deeper understanding of El Roi, the God Who Sees, through the stories of Hagar, Moses, Paul, and Jesus by uncovering the transformative power of living each day in the attention of a holy God. Overlooked offers practical ways to implement a lifestyle of living seen characterized by confidence, meekness, obedience, and a gospel perspective. You’ll learn how to use these characteristics to interact with humility and strength in the real, and digital, world around you.
When you feel forgotten and unseen, Overlooked will help you . . .
- Discover why longing to be seen doesn’t make you a narcissist.
- Get real about the ways social media is hard on your heart.
- Tap into the true source of the attention and approval you long for.
1. Overlooked is for the Christian woman who longs to be seen and valued but struggles with feeling overlooked by others and unusable by God.
2. Whitney Akin connects to the heart of her readers by pairing her experience living in full-time ministry alongside her husband with her relatable writing style and biblical insight.
3. Overlooked goes beyond offering readers the encouraging truth that God sees them; it equips them with practical ways to trade feeling overlooked for a lifestyle of living seen.
4. Overlooked addresses the growing problems of comparison and self-promotion on social media and offers readers realistic ways for interacting in a digital world with humility and confidence.
Whitney Akin is an author and speaker. Her heart is to see and celebrate the purpose and potential of the overlooked and invite them to live seen by the God who loves them. Whitney’s writing has been featured in The Joyful Life Magazine, (in)courage, Her View From Home, and more. You can find more of her writing and speaking on her website at www.whitneyakin.com and connect with her on Instagram @whitneyakin. Whitney lives outside Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband, Eli, and their three (crazy) beautiful kids.
"Overlooked is for every woman who feels unseen and undervalued. With transparency, vulnerability and practical truths from God’s Word, Whitney offers help to process hurt in healthy ways, combat the lies of the enemy, and walk confidently in Christ. A must read for anyone who longs to experience the joy of living chosen and cherished by the God who sees."
–Ginger Hubbard, best-selling author of Don’t Make Me Count to Three and co-host of the Parenting with Ginger Hubbard podcast
"With transparency and transformative perspective, Overlooked encourages readers to lift their gaze from the mire of feeling unseen to meet the eyes of El Roi, the God who sees. Whitney’s intuitive, gospel-infused writing style will challenge and inspire you to walk in this truth: you are not overlooked."
–Trudy Cathy White, Ambassador, Chick-fil-A, Inc.
"This read is biblical, honest, wise, memorable, and well worth savoring. Whitney brings insight to our deep longings exampled often in social media and beckons us to meekness, drawing especially on the lives of Moses, Paul, and Jesus. She does it with a humility that is fitting to the theme of this excellent book, and I must say, it is evident in how she lives."
–Rhys Stenner, Senior Pastor of New Hope Baptist Church, South Metro Atlanta, Author of If in Doubt
"The longing to be seen simmers in every girl’s heart from an early age. “Watch me, Daddy” she calls as she twirls in her Sunday best. This longing only grows as we do. Whitney Akin captures the unspoken thoughts of so many women who seek what feels elusive and puts into words what I’ve struggled to speak aloud. Deftly weaving biblical truth, cultural observations, and her own story, Akin will meet you in your hiding place and invite you to live seen by the One who matters most."
–Glynnis Whitwer, Author, Executive Director of Communications, Proverbs 31 Ministries
Dimensions (inches) 5.5 x 8.25
Weight (pounds) .5